Technical Tips from Auditory Technical Services
We launched the much-anticipated Ponto™ 5 SuperPower in May. Clinicians and patients alike have been eager to experience the smallest, most powerful abutment-level bone anchored hearing device on the market. For this blog, we asked Auditory Technical Services to provide some tips for clinicians to consider when they are fitting this brand-new device.
What software do I need to program the Ponto 5 SuperPower?
There is a new update with Genie Medical BAHS for the Ponto 5 Superpower. You will need Genie Medical 2022.1. This can be obtained by using the Genie Medical (GM) Updater in your hidden icon menu. You can right-click to start the download and installation.
If GM Updater does not work for you or you cannot find it, feel free to call Auditory Technical Services at 888.277.8014 and choose Option 4 when prompted. We can send the software to you via a share link after account verification.
What features in the Ponto 5 SuperPower will benefit my patients?
The Ponto 5 SuperPower has all the wonderful features of the Ponto 5 Mini, but with added MFO allowing a fit for hearing loss up to 65 dB HL BC. Ponto 5 SuperPower also offers OpenSound Navigator™ for 360o sound that provides proven better speech understanding in noise, OpenSound Optimizer™ for 5 dB more stable gain with less potential for feedback and is built on the Velox S™ platform. As a bonus, this most powerful sound processor also has low-energy Bluetooth® for direct connectivity to Apple® products and other connectivity.
What wireless accessories are compatible with the Ponto 5 SuperPower?
Our entire portfolio of wireless accessories that patients have come to rely on are compatible with the new Ponto 5 SuperPower, including the ConnectClip™, EduMic™, TV Adapter™ 3.0, and remote control. As with the Ponto 5 Mini, this new device is Made for iPhone® and has the ability to stream an audio signal directly to the iPhone. Our Oticon ON™ app is available for use for both iPhone and Android™ users.
Which app(s) can be used with the Ponto 5 SuperPower?
- Oticon RemoteCare for remote programming sessions
- ON can be used for controlling the Ponto 5 SuperPower using a compatible smartphone
- Ponto Care™ app is great for support and guidance, but also to help patients develop good cleaning and maintenance habits with their softband, abutment or Ponto processor
- Lastly, Oticon RemoteCare allows providers to perform adjustments to patient processor settings during telehealth visits
I have a patient who wants to upgrade from the Ponto 3 SuperPower. Where do I start?
That is a great question! It is actually a very simple process. There are two insurance forms that need to be completed and returned to the Insurance Services Department at Oticon Medical: a Patient Insurance Form and an ENT Insurance Form.
- The patient will complete and return the Patient Insurance Form to Oticon Medical Insurance Services Department along with a copy of their insurance card.
- The audiologist and ENT will complete the other form, the ENT Insurance Form and return it to Insurance Services along with these documents:
- A signed prescription for the ordered upgrade (must be signed by a physician)
- Medical notes (should be within the last year)
- Latest copy of audiogram (should be within the last year)
- Processor and Accessory Order Form
The items can be returned to our Insurance Services Department via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or faxed to 888-683-8736. If you have any specific questions, our Insurance Services Department is happy to assist you by email or phone at 855-400-9761. They are available Monday-Friday, 8am-8pm EST.
Lastly, if you are wondering if the patient is eligible for an upgrade based on the age of their current Ponto processor, please contact Customer Service M-F 8am-8pm ET at 888-277-8014 (choose Option 1) or email anytime to email@example.com and they can quickly provide you with that information.
Is the Ponto 5 SuperPower MRI-safe?
No, the Ponto 5 SuperPower processor is not MRI-safe and should be removed prior to getting an MRI scan. However, the implant and abutment are MR-Conditional and may be subjected to a MR scan as long as following conditions are met:
- Static magnetic field of 1.5 and 3 Tesla only
- Maximum spatial field gradient of 3,000 gauss/cm (30 T/m)
- Maximum MR system reported, whole body average specific absorption rate (SAR) of 4 W/kg in the first level controlled mode.
In non-clinical testing, the image artifact caused by the device extends approximately 10 mm from the Ponto Implant System when imaged with a gradient echo pulse sequence and a 3.0 Tesla MRI system.
What should I consider when fitting a pediatric patient with a Ponto 5 SuperPower?
You are off to a great start by considering fitting a pediatric patient with the Ponto 5 SuperPower. There are several benefits that you and your patient will appreciate, and we are excited to have an opportunity to touch base on a few of them:
- High MFO, OpenSound Navigator & OpenSound Optimizer. The ideal choice to ensure audibility and output and headroom for the dynamic range of speech, sound processing technology that provides access to the full soundscape to support incidental learning, and advanced feedback management that prevents feedback without compromise, as it does not reduce gain.
- Integrated battery door lock. There is no need to change out the battery door, because it has a locking mechanism right on the door that is intuitive to use and ensures the battery door is tamper-resistant to small fingers. Simply use the Multitool and turn the screw clockwise in the direction of the locked padlock icon to lock the battery drawer. To unlock the drawer, turn the screw counterclockwise in the direction of the unlocked padlock.
- Excellent battery life with the 675 (CI) battery of approximately 54-120 hours.
- Pediatric Preferences Settings. Directionality and noise reduction features based upon age of the child.
- Age bracket notification. When a child comes back for follow-up, this makes it easy to identify if changes to the Pediatric Settings are due to be reviewed and adjusted.
- Multiple pediatric Outcome Measures (ELF, CHILD, PEACH)
- DSL-BC Pediatric Fitting Rationale. Found under Program Manager or set it as your fitting default under Preferences
- LED Indicators for peace of mind (Start-up, Continuous, Program, and Volume Changes)
- EduMic compatibility for school-friendly, easy-to-use FM connectivity or remote mic use
- Parent-friendly Connectivity. Oticon ON App, direct-to-iPhone, Find My Processor, and ConnectClip
- Ponto 5 Softband. Coming soon! Anticipated for release in late summer 2022 (NOTE: implantation is contraindicated for patients up to 5 years of age)
Oticon Medical has a great resource for pediatrics. The Pediatric Fitting Guide is available on our website for download, or you can request hard copies for your clinic from your local Oticon Medical Clinical Specialist. ATS is available should you have any questions, or you would like fitting assistance.
I am fitting a Ponto 5 SuperPower for the first time, and I might need some assistance. Who can I call?
The Auditory Technical Support team is available and on standby to support you when you need it. You can reach us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org and by phone at 888-277-8014 (Option 4). Our hours are 8am-8pm EST.
About the authors
Gail Leininger, Au.D., CCC-A is an audiologist who has worked with implantable technologies for over twenty years. She is an Auditory Technical Specialist for Oticon Medical.
Nicole Maxam, Au.D. CCC-A is an Auditory Technical Specialist at Oticon Medical and joins the team with 17 years of experience as an audiologist.
Alicia Wooten, Au.D. CCC-A is a Senior Auditory Technical Specialist at Oticon Medical. She specializes in implantable hearing devices and has a strong passion for aural rehabilitation and its impact on patient outcomes.